Salem Horror Fest returns this October with a series of programs and double features that will explore our nation’s fear of invasion.
“They’ve meddled in our elections. They’re storming our borders. We’re in constant fear of some outside force taking over, we often forget our own role in wiping out an entire population of indigenous people. Invasions are as American as apple pie,” said festival director Kevin Lynch.
Attack the Block (2011) and The Blob (1988) show two communities besieged by an alien force in the heartland of Brittain’s projects and Reagan’s America. John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982) and Under the Skin (2013) reveal our paranoia of imposters in the long tradition of McCarthyism. Funny Games (2007) and The Strangers (2008) confront us at our most vulnerable – in our homes and without motive.
The program will also honor National Indigenous Peoples Day with a tongue-in-cheek Critters Columbus Day marathon featuring all four films from the franchise. The Faculty of Horror podcast will return with hosts Andrea Subissati and Alexandra West for their third live show featuring Under the Skin (2013) with discussion and analysis.
The lineup includes:
- ATTACK THE BLOCK (2011) – Friday, October 4, 7 PM
- THE BLOB (1988) – Friday, October 4, 9 PM
- JOHN CARPENTER’S THE THING – Saturday, October 5, 7 PM
- UNDER THE SKIN (2013) – Saturday, October 5, 9 PM
- FUNNY GAMES (2007) – Sunday, October 13, 7 PM
- THE STRANGERS (2008) – Sunday, October 13, 9 PM
- CRITTERS FRANCHISE – Monday, October 14, 2 PM
- THE FACULTY OF HORROR PODCAST – LIVE SHOW Saturday, October 5, 11 PM
This year’s Salem Horror Fest will kick off on Thursday, October 3, running through Sunday, October 27, 2019! Head over to the official website to grab tickets and learn more.